Tuesday 23 August 2011

The cult of New is not new at all!

 A blast from my grumpy past:     Saturday 22nd August 2009:           Adelaide

While channel surfing today I chanced upon an ABC Stateline segment featuring the Australian Dance Theatre's contemporary production of ‘G’, a Post-modern re-interpretation (execution) of the classical ballet ‘Giselle’. What compelled me to document my reaction to this programme was the unbridled hubris contained in the sneering comments of Garry Stewart regarding the original piece.

He mentioned that his work was an attempt to: “…deconstruct one of the icons of modern culture”, and referred to all such icons lack of relevance in today’s society. Aside from the assumption that this approach is de rigueur in 'cutting edge art' his worldview exemplifies the Hegelian myth of ‘contemporaneity’ which asserts that anything new is automatically better than the old.

The truth is that more attention to the past is essential if what passes for 'art' today is purportedly 'better'! 

We were then subjected to segments from the dance piece itself. My wife (a former dancer) and I have been supporters and participants of art, dance and theatre for more years than I care to remember, and I do mean all types of dance. We are not fossilised into classical vs contemporary mode or even Balanchine's [1] expression, which is to say that we love the various new dance styles exemplified by programs such as ‘Think you can dance’. However, what this appalling 'deconstruction' of the majesty of the many expressions of Giselle offers in their stead, was a soggy and revolting melee of self-indulgent, convulsive, contortionist activities wrapped in dodgy choreography with 3rd rate gymnastics thrown in for Circe de Solei devotees.

The cult of ugly trumps beauty these days.

Unfortunately the ‘Couture Emperor' syndrome thrives within elite circles, and whilst I confess to having been complicit in the past, I now echo Bob Dylan’s prescience; ‘I was so much older then than I am now’. The passage of time seems to clarify ones perspective, perhaps assisting us in becoming more child-like or merely more able (or willing!) to spot the nakedness of hubris?

I end with this little observation; Tom Wolfe lamented in his book The Painted Word about the jargon embodied in most discussions and/or descriptors of 'modern art'. Note well how the ADT website describes Garry Stewart's newest work: “…Be Your Self , investigates the primary ‘self’ and the ‘I’ while disrupting the illusionary sense of unity and centrality that we inherently feel about ourselves.”
What ho! step forward to self-immolation please! Art as an expression of the self-disgust felt by the Western elite. Talk about pretentious, PoMo psycho-babble!
Welcome to Artsville in 21st Century. 


[1] Although I think his work is rarely surpassed in its beauty of form and movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment