Wednesday 2 November 2011

Beware what you hope for!

This small excerpt from an article discussing Andrew Bolts trial and its implications for freedom of speech speaks volumes about the quality of people involved in making the rules under which we currently live and it is only going to get worse. As a student of history I watch newsreels recording the rise of Nazism in Germany and  shudder when I consider the extremism already happening in Australia at the moment...and it is not the right 'wingnuts' I am talking about.
I was there at the beginning, and I was there at the end. I was in the courtroom when wit and humour became a race crime. I saw the torture they inflicted on Andrew Bolt for his wrong ideas and the pleasure they got from hurting him. I heard meanness and I saw hatred on people’s faces—but they weren’t the ones on trial. During the lunch break on the first day a woman said loudly, “I’m interested in anything against Bolt. This time he has bitten off more than he can chew.” Back in the courtroom Eatock’s solicitor, Joel Zyngier, greeted her with a kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment