Tuesday 9 April 2013

LOL

isn't this a classic:
I just want to highlight again just the last part of that last paragraph from that report from 1817:
…..the Eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts, which have so far never ventured so far North, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. Within a few years it is predicted that, due to the ice melt, the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.”
What surprises me is that this meme is still doing the rounds these days, almost 200 years later.
People (mainly those who support CAGW) STILL think that the melting Arctic Ice will lead to humungous seal level rises, flooding coastal regions.
It always makes me smile, and it almost got me into trouble once, that smiling bit. One person saw my smile, and in an almost aggrieved tone told me that this was no joking matter to be smiling about.
I mentioned to him that this was Sea Ice. He gave me a somewhat puzzled look and added the standard comeback ….. “And your point is?”
I just politely mentioned the phrase Archimedes Principle.
The dumbfounded look that followed was absolutely priceless. He had no idea, so I mentioned that the ice already floating in the ocean (Sea Ice or North Polar Ice) was already in the water and even if it all melted, it would not raise sea levels at all.
He still couldn’t see the point.
What absolutely amazes me is that people like this will believe what is the most complex science that some CAGW Scientists come out with, accept that verbatim, and then have no idea at all about the High School Science they actually learned themselves while at school.
He was still absolutely certain I was lying to support my own views.
It’s not isolated either. In the five years I’ve been following this. that position is not just occasional, but is actually the belief of a lot of people.
Tony.
 
way to go Tony!

No comments:

Post a Comment