Sunday 7 August 2016

LEFT NUT

We too often place our faith in 'expert opinion' rather than following our own common sense. If I had a dollar for every time I heard the phrase; "experts tell us...." I would be rich and if I followed what they told us I would most likely be a left-wing nutter.
Experts are notoriously bad at seeing technological change coming. When they do, they often expect it in the wrong area. Fifty years ago, after dramatic changes in transport but not much change in communication, futurologists were all babbling about personal gyrocopters, regular supersonic flights and routine space travel – none of which have yet materialized. Very few of them saw mobile phones coming, let alone the internet, search engines or social media.So trust experts, yes, but never about the future. The inventor, James Lovelock, aged 96, put it rather well in an interview with the Bournemouth Echo at the weekend: “I think anyone that tries to predict more than five to ten years ahead is a bit of an idiot, so many things can change unexpectedly.” [

No comments:

Post a Comment