Wednesday 28 November 2012

Honest to God!

From the mouth of a confused but endearingly honest unbeliever, the respected atheistic philosopher Thomas Nagel:
"I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear (of religion) myself: I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that. My guess is that this cosmic authority problem is not a rare condition and it is responsible for much of the scientism and reductionism of our time. One of the tendencies it supports is the ludicrous overuse of evolutionary biology to explain everything about life, including everything about the human mind. Darwin enabled modern secular culture to heave a great collective sigh of relief, by apparently providing a way to eliminate purpose, meaning and design as fundamental features of the world."
 
He touches on a very common and perpetuating truth; most unbelievers do not want there to be a God. Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it is that it has been thought too difficult and not tried at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment