Monday 12 September 2016

CHURCH LEADERSHIP

Some decades ago I decided to forego attendance at 'leadership' conferences in order to preserve my sanity and perhaps my sovereignty. Personal history has proved me prescient.

Fairly recently I have encoded such passive resistance by appropriating a literary reference via a subversion of some ancient wisdom handed down from father to son; i.e. Polonius to Laertes re: money: that is to be neither a lender nor a borrower.
Dalrymple interprets it as:
Neither a leader nor a follower be…
And I like it!

I include some leadership/management 'speak' to illustrate the booming but shallow pool of 'wisdom' present at too many of such conferences:
If someone tells you that “lean management is this” and not something else, if someone puts it in a box and ties a bow around it and presents it in a neat package with four walls around it, then that someone knows not of what they speak. Why? Because it is in motion and not a framed picture hanging on the wall. It is a melody, a rhythm, and not a single note.
This is the mysticism of apparatchiks, the romanticism of bureaucrats, the poetry of clerks and the church, like the world, has been seduced by such balderdash (to put it politely). 

Thankfully there are still a few Jackie Pullinger's and Franklin Graham's to show how true leadership 'happens'.


No comments:

Post a Comment