Friday 19 August 2011

Pesky questions!

I am finding it somewhat amusing as I comment, usually negatively, on the role of the 'intellectual' in today's society. It is amusing in that by many of the apparent 'qualifications', appearances and tendency's I should be classified as one. I am not, and would resist the appellation vigorously if 'accused',  but by all outward manifestations I could be and that is what makes my position so uncomfortable. I am by whatever circumstances have caused my predisposition, an outsider. I do not 'fit' an easily defined mold. For example I have been accused of being 'right-wing' by colleagues in Australia and of being a communist by others in South Africa. I attended a lecture on Wednesday by a Philosopher of the neuro-sciences and when I questioned what seemed to me to be obvious flaws in her ontology, was accused of being a 'pest'.  
Perhaps the latter is the most accurate, but I hope not!         

No comments:

Post a Comment