Monday 19 September 2011

Praise Evolution!

In Western Australia a woman is being hailed as brave after deciding to have both breasts cut off and a hysterectomy in order to beat a 'maybe' cancer after having already beaten breast cancer but receiving a less than perfect genetic test:
 Although she made a good recovery after treatment for breast cancer two years ago, an inconclusive result from genetic testing left her worried. She potentially faced a 50 per cent chance the disease would develop in her other breast, and a 60 per cent chance she would get ovarian cancer.
Forgive my insensitivity but I would call her stupid not brave. Perhaps I should amend that to merely pathetic.

What this tragic story indicates to me is how 'science' has weakened the human spirit. I can quote endless tales of medical 'prophecies' coming up hollow. Good friends of ours were told to abort their twin babies after being informed that one was dead, which proved incorrect. When later informed that both were still alive they were told that both would suffer serious birth defects...both have graduated high school and are 'perfect' in every way.
I myself was told I had three to six months to live 6 years ago.
The moral of the story is to amputate both your legs if you lose one; 'just in case'.

Why are people who submit to fear consistently upheld as 'brave'?
Our 'brave new world' has truly turned meaning on it head; bad is good, stupid is smart, bravery is perceived as ignorance and honour is old-fashioned.

Haven't we 'evolved!'  

No comments:

Post a Comment